Skip to main content

Light Box DIY

Photography Light Box DIY

I posted on a few of my social medias my DIY Light Box that I made.  I had a lot of interest on how to make it and was asked to make a tutorial.  I thought about a YouTube video tutorial, but I am "video shy".  LOL So I took pics on how to make it instead.  It's easier to print as well if you wanted.  Please contact me if you have any questions.


What you need:
  1. Three foam boards size 20 x 30 x 3/16 inches
  2. 1-2 Poster boards
  3. Rulers
  4. Wax paper or tissue paper
  5. Pencil, pen or marker
  6. Clear tape
  7. Masking tape or duct tape
  8. Razor blade



  1. Measure up 20 inches and make a line across.  (You don't have to measure 20 inches. You can measure as high as you like to make it as tall as you like.) I chose 20 inches. 
  2. Cut the board at the line you made.
  3. Do step 1 and 2 for the other foam board as well. This will be the sides of the box.
  4. Cut your 3rd board to be 22 inches wide (or wider if you like) and 20 inches tall (or whatever the height of your light box is to be.) This will be the back of the box.  Put this piece aside.


           

                 
 Note the following steps are scaled down on a smaller board since I cut my board already.
  1.  Measure in 1 1/2 inches and make a square on both of your boards for the side of the boxes.


                 



For the 3 pictures above you can do whatever is comfortable for you.  I happen to have a mat cutter on hand.  With this mat cutter; it does not cut deep enough into the boards. I use it to get my cut started and then finish off with the razor blade. Use the straight edge of the ruler to cut a straight line down the line you made ( this goes for the razor too if that is all you have).


Here you have the frame for the side of the box.  Make sure you repeat this step on matching board.


  1. Take the wax paper or tissue paper, cut to cover the hole and tape to the frame.  My wax paper wasn't big enough so I cut 2 pieces to cover.  It does not matter which side you tape it to.
  2. Repeat for other foam board frame.



  1. Using your duct tape or masking tape.  Tape both frames to the foam board you cut to be the back.  This will create your hinge.  I wouldn't recommend clear tape for this as it may not be strong enough to hold together.


It will look like this when complete.


Place your poster board inside your light box.  You can use one or two, whichever you prefer.  This is to create a "seamless picture."  When viewing the photo you can't tell where the light box ends and the table surface begins.



I bought these lamps at Walmart for about $6 each.  I wanted an LED lamp /bulb to give off a bright light.  You don't want to use a low watt bulb or yellow light bulb because it will cause a dim or dull picture.  When I saw these lamps were long lasting and never have to replace a bulb, they got my business!!



So this is what it will look like with both lamps shining through the sides of the light box.  Taking pictures with your iPhone or Android what have you is perfectly fine as well.  I take pics with both my phone and big camera for backup.

I hope this was a big help!

Stephanie

Travel bags made by me taken inside the light box.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY -- Hello Kitty Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Hello Kitty Scrub Top What I Wore Today  Fabric from Joann Fabrics  I'm not sure if you can buy this particular print online, but I did see it in a few of their retail stores.  I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape accent the pockets and around the top.  If you haven't read my About Me page yet, I state that I work full-time in the medical field.  I don't have to wear scrubs all the time, but when I want to be comfortable it's my go to option!!  I was tired of seeing the same scrub tops I was wearing that day on other co-workers in the hospital and smiling at each other because we didn't know what else to say. I felt like I was in People Magazine on the "Who Wore It Better" page. So I decided to start making my own tops!!  This is the 2nd scrub top that I have ever made.  The first one I made ended up being a complete bust (My Failure) and I never took a pic of it.  I definitely learned for my mistakes (My Triumph) and

Scrub - A - Dub Sunday!! DIY - Scrub Tops

DIY - Scrub Sunday!! I buckled down and add four more scrub tops to my work wardrobe.  I did this really for two reasons. 1) I like how easy and fast it is for me at this moment, very calming and non-stressful sewing! 2) I enjoy the compliments I get from my co-worker for having original scrub tops! If you have not read my Fabric Haul 2 post, please check it out.  There you will find a description of all the fabric I used for these scrub tops.   Fabric Haul 2 My son decided that he wanted to draw all over my pocket template. To learn more about the Ideal Seam Guide that I use while sewing, check out my   Tool I Can't Live Without Post It seemed easier for me to just cut all the fabric out and just sew everything at once. The only thing that was time consuming on these scrubs was changing the thread to match the color of the bias tape being used. The finished products!! So happy!! Can't wait to wear

DIY -- Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top What I Wore Today  This fabric was purchased at my local Joann Fabrics . It is part of there Easy Care and Wash Collection its called Circle and Lines . It is 40% Polyester and 60% Cotton. I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape  and matching thread.  So I will be honest.....since I started sewing I have been OBSESSED with making scrub tops for myself. The reason being its 50% easy to make, and 50% fun to pick out what materials and designs that you like. I buy 2 yards of fabric for everything I do. Because if I mess up I have more. I want the scraps for another project down the road. I'm thinking maybe I should make my own scrub line.  Happy Good Friday!! Until Next Time  ✌ Stephanie