Skip to main content

DIY-- Chain Maxi Dress-- New Look 6372

DIY -Halter Chain Maxi Dress - 
New Look 6122
View C

New Look Misses' Dresses Each in Two Lengths 6372


When I first saw this pattern I knew I NEEDED to make it! It was simple enough and just what I needed to satisfy my sewing itch!


When I went to the Quilting and Sewing Expo this past April in Massachusetts, I decided to snoop around other local and not so local (bit more of a drive) fabric shops. One store in particular I fell in love with is Sewfisticated Discount Fabric Store in Framingham, MA. The fabric in here is of good qaulity and costs anywhere from $2.99 to $6.99 a yard. This is where I got this beautiful polyester fabric. I took what was left on the bolt. Maybe about 6 yards or so. I knew I was going to make more than one of something, just didn't know what.


Sooo....3 months later I figured out what I was going to make with it. I honestly love when patterns are only 5-6 pattern pieces or less. It makes me happier to get to the sewing faster than to be cutting for hours.  Have you ever noticed when you are working on a pattern that requires you to cut out about 15-20 pieces of just the paper you don't want to cut the fabric and you are done for the day. Then when you finish cutting the fabric you don't want to start sewing because you are tired from all the cutting, so that puts it off another day? Lol...story of my life!!

#1


#2

If I could put the two above pictures together I would.  I was having such a hard time trying to figure out how I was going to make 2 tubes out of these little slim pieces of fabric.  I will be honest I almost quit a few times.  It was so aggravating and I was starting to sweat.  No lie!!  I came across a Youtube Tutorial on how to turn a small tube inside out.  In picture #1 you can see the end of the tube is sewed shut with not much of an end.  The tutorial said to take my tool of choice, put it at the end of the tube and scrunch it down on itself.  In pic #2 you can see that I am working my way scrunching on itself and its turning right side out.  I will admit in the beginning I did have a hard time doing this to start because it is such a slippery fabric, but eventually I got the hang of it.



I purchased this Blue Moon 18" Gold Oval Link Chain from Joann Fabrics.  I didn't need that long of a chain, but out of the selection, I loved this one the most.  I took about 5 links out of it to make it the length that I wanted.



Sewing the ends of the tube to the link chain was a piece of cake!

I put my label and size of the dress inside the back of the dress.  Here is where I made it look professional!!  I went to Hobby Lobby one day and bought clear elastic from their Sewology line.  I sewed the pieces of elastic to the to the side seams of the dress so when you put it on a hanger it has extra support instead of just hanging awkwardly from a chain.  I think that was pretty creative of myself.  I also added my tag on the side.



I wore it to my daughter's fifth grade graduation as you can see above and it was a hit.  I think people love how big the flowers were and that is was just so unique.


Did the dress come out the way I envisioned it? Yes!!

Would I make it again? Yes, but I think next time I will try a different neckline on the pattern.

I did make 2 more in 2 different sizes for other people and it seemed to work out pretty well for them as well.  Thanks for checking this out!!

Until Next Time

Stephanie

Silverlinings Originals


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY -- Hello Kitty Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Hello Kitty Scrub Top What I Wore Today  Fabric from Joann Fabrics  I'm not sure if you can buy this particular print online, but I did see it in a few of their retail stores.  I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape accent the pockets and around the top.  If you haven't read my About Me page yet, I state that I work full-time in the medical field.  I don't have to wear scrubs all the time, but when I want to be comfortable it's my go to option!!  I was tired of seeing the same scrub tops I was wearing that day on other co-workers in the hospital and smiling at each other because we didn't know what else to say. I felt like I was in People Magazine on the "Who Wore It Better" page. So I decided to start making my own tops!!  This is the 2nd scrub top that I have ever made.  The first one I made ended up being a complete bust (My Failure) and I never took a pic of it.  I definitely learned for my mistakes (My Triumph) and

Scrub - A - Dub Sunday!! DIY - Scrub Tops

DIY - Scrub Sunday!! I buckled down and add four more scrub tops to my work wardrobe.  I did this really for two reasons. 1) I like how easy and fast it is for me at this moment, very calming and non-stressful sewing! 2) I enjoy the compliments I get from my co-worker for having original scrub tops! If you have not read my Fabric Haul 2 post, please check it out.  There you will find a description of all the fabric I used for these scrub tops.   Fabric Haul 2 My son decided that he wanted to draw all over my pocket template. To learn more about the Ideal Seam Guide that I use while sewing, check out my   Tool I Can't Live Without Post It seemed easier for me to just cut all the fabric out and just sew everything at once. The only thing that was time consuming on these scrubs was changing the thread to match the color of the bias tape being used. The finished products!! So happy!! Can't wait to wear

DIY -- Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top What I Wore Today  This fabric was purchased at my local Joann Fabrics . It is part of there Easy Care and Wash Collection its called Circle and Lines . It is 40% Polyester and 60% Cotton. I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape  and matching thread.  So I will be honest.....since I started sewing I have been OBSESSED with making scrub tops for myself. The reason being its 50% easy to make, and 50% fun to pick out what materials and designs that you like. I buy 2 yards of fabric for everything I do. Because if I mess up I have more. I want the scraps for another project down the road. I'm thinking maybe I should make my own scrub line.  Happy Good Friday!! Until Next Time  ✌ Stephanie