Skip to main content

DIY - Jacket - Simplicity 1283 - MimiG Style

DIY - Mimi G Style Jacket View D

If you have followed my blog you have seen that I LOVE Mimi G and I was so excited to meet her this past September.  I'm sure many people love and follow her, but I owe this restart to the love of sewing to her. I always thought all I could sew was home decor or children dresses that didn't have much difficulty to them.  If it wasn't for finding her on YouTube one day I wouldn't have come as far as I have.  Not to say that I don't have a very long way to go and new things to learn everyday, but she has made it possible for me to keep going and keep trying!!

Pictured here is one of my signed copies of her pattern.  This is not the pattern that I cut! This is safely tucked away after taking this pic.  The fabric used to make the jacket (View D) is a Black Ponte fabric (Here)  that I bought from Mood Fabrics in NYC.

There are a couple flaws in it that I would change for the next time....but I can't complain for my first time.

I used to love cutting out pattern pieces and the fabric, but now that I am sewing more frequently....I think this is starting to becoming my least favorite part!

Now I chose to show this picture because this is the first time that I really had to use interfacing. With that being said, I think I used one that was a little to heavy/stiff for this project.  Next time I will use a much lighter one.

 Making this jacket had a lot of firsts for me. Like sewing the loops for the belt.  It still amazes me watching things I make come together.

 With these two pictures I was so excited to see it coming together.

 Just sewing my seams on one of the lapels! :)

 This was a challenge for me because this was my first time doing a real sleeve with easing and setting in.  It was not the easiest for me!! I will have to practice with this.

Getting my sleeve set in the arm hole.  

Another (look so far) pic.  It made it look a little weird with the arms poked out.

I ended up having to take in both sides a little.

Sewing on the interfaced self facing.

Above and below of the finished look.  I ended up taping the arms of my DIY Dress Form down to the bust/body to make it look good.





To me it came out as good as I could hope. I have already worn it a hand full of times for an evening out and even to work when I don't have to wear scrubs.  I have received a lot of compliments even with the flaws that I know are there but they can't see.  I once read no one should be that close to you to see your mistakes. Next time I will cut the pattern down from a 12 to 10 and use a lighter weight interfacing so the lapels aren't as stiff.  I do have to get a little better at easing the sleeves, but overall I am happy with it and its mine!!  I will be making a few more in different colors eventually.  There are so many patterns and ideas that I want to do and or finish (WIP) that I can't get to another one of these yet.  When I do I will be sure to post them.

Until Next Time!!

Stephanie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY -- Hello Kitty Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Hello Kitty Scrub Top What I Wore Today  Fabric from Joann Fabrics  I'm not sure if you can buy this particular print online, but I did see it in a few of their retail stores.  I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape accent the pockets and around the top.  If you haven't read my About Me page yet, I state that I work full-time in the medical field.  I don't have to wear scrubs all the time, but when I want to be comfortable it's my go to option!!  I was tired of seeing the same scrub tops I was wearing that day on other co-workers in the hospital and smiling at each other because we didn't know what else to say. I felt like I was in People Magazine on the "Who Wore It Better" page. So I decided to start making my own tops!!  This is the 2nd scrub top that I have ever made.  The first one I made ended up being a complete bust (My Failure) and I never took a pic of it.  I definitely learned for my mistakes (My Triumph) and

Scrub - A - Dub Sunday!! DIY - Scrub Tops

DIY - Scrub Sunday!! I buckled down and add four more scrub tops to my work wardrobe.  I did this really for two reasons. 1) I like how easy and fast it is for me at this moment, very calming and non-stressful sewing! 2) I enjoy the compliments I get from my co-worker for having original scrub tops! If you have not read my Fabric Haul 2 post, please check it out.  There you will find a description of all the fabric I used for these scrub tops.   Fabric Haul 2 My son decided that he wanted to draw all over my pocket template. To learn more about the Ideal Seam Guide that I use while sewing, check out my   Tool I Can't Live Without Post It seemed easier for me to just cut all the fabric out and just sew everything at once. The only thing that was time consuming on these scrubs was changing the thread to match the color of the bias tape being used. The finished products!! So happy!! Can't wait to wear

DIY -- Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top What I Wore Today  This fabric was purchased at my local Joann Fabrics . It is part of there Easy Care and Wash Collection its called Circle and Lines . It is 40% Polyester and 60% Cotton. I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape  and matching thread.  So I will be honest.....since I started sewing I have been OBSESSED with making scrub tops for myself. The reason being its 50% easy to make, and 50% fun to pick out what materials and designs that you like. I buy 2 yards of fabric for everything I do. Because if I mess up I have more. I want the scraps for another project down the road. I'm thinking maybe I should make my own scrub line.  Happy Good Friday!! Until Next Time  ✌ Stephanie