DIY -Tunic - Simplicity 2255
I haven't posted in awhile because I have been working on some business ventures as of late. Two opportunities have been brought to the table for me and I have decided to jump on them. I will be sharing more on this in a later post. Most of my posts are always about firsts. That may still be because in my eyes I am still a beginner (novice) sewer.
I got up the courage to try my first button up shirt. I have had the pattern for a while but was very intimidated by it. The shirting fabric I decided to use was purchased at Mood in NYC when I was there in September.
So I did my best with the trying to cut all the patterns out to line up with each other in the end. I think I did pretty well. The only thing I had trouble with at this point were the pockets. I had to sacrifice lining the plaid up perfectly horizontally and make it line up vertically. Originally the pocket placement was too high for me according to the pattern markings, so I lowered them a little. In hindsight I could have lowered them a little more.
The whole concept of buttons is the reason why I was intimidated with this pattern. I have never done buttons before. I bought my sewing machine in July of last year and have yet to use all the features it is capable of. Button and button holes being one of them. My Brother SQ9185 sewing machine has an automatic button whole maker that I had never used. Man...did I practice with the that button hole maker on every scrap I could find before I put them in my shirt. I was so pleased when it worked.
I finally put to use the Brother Serger 1034D that I purchased in March of this year. Before I was able to get to this point of using it on my shirt, I had to change the thread. The video that came with it was so outdated and no help at all. With the help of two YouTube video and taking pictures of what it should like before I changed the thread helped with re-threading it with white thread. Hopefully it lasts me a long time and I don't have to do it again anytime soon. It's not that it is hard to do, its just tedious!!! After using a million scrap pieces to serge, I finally put the knife to my shirt! I was scared, but it came out fine.
I probably could have been a little closer to the actually seam, but being my first time serging, I didn't want to push my luck and ruin it!
This was my way of marking the button holes on the front of the shirt and also making sure that the plaid lined up with each other. I didn't know any other way to do it. It worked for me, that's all that mattered! lol
I could have had a million more pictures of step by step of making the shirt, but I didn't want to make the post too long.
So here it is finished on my DIY- Duck Tape Dress Form. I made it last winter and she is holding up pretty well. I was asked a few days ago if I am going to get a real dress form. I may eventually, but for right now she is doing just fine!! :)
Here it is on me!! Wearing it to work!! I think I like it better with the sleeves rolled up and the sides buttoned up. That's just my personal preference. Now on to my next project that I can't wait to share, but for now it is Top Secret. Have a good day all!!
To stay current with me between my blog posts follow me on Instagram! Click the link below!
Until Next Time!