Photography Light Box DIY
I posted on a few of my social medias my DIY Light Box that I made. I had a lot of interest on how to make it and was asked to make a tutorial. I thought about a YouTube video tutorial, but I am "video shy". LOL So I took pics on how to make it instead. It's easier to print as well if you wanted. Please contact me if you have any questions.
What you need:
- Three foam boards size 20 x 30 x 3/16 inches
- 1-2 Poster boards
- Wax paper or tissue paper
- Pencil, pen or marker
- Clear tape
- Masking tape or duct tape
- Razor blade
- Measure up 20 inches and make a line across. (You don't have to measure 20 inches. You can measure as high as you like to make it as tall as you like.) I chose 20 inches.
- Cut the board at the line you made.
- Do step 1 and 2 for the other foam board as well. This will be the sides of the box.
- Cut your 3rd board to be 22 inches wide (or wider if you like) and 20 inches tall (or whatever the height of your light box is to be.) This will be the back of the box. Put this piece aside.
Note the following steps are scaled down on a smaller board since I cut my board already.
- Measure in 1 1/2 inches and make a square on both of your boards for the side of the boxes.
Here you have the frame for the side of the box. Make sure you repeat this step on matching board.
- Take the wax paper or tissue paper, cut to cover the hole and tape to the frame. My wax paper wasn't big enough so I cut 2 pieces to cover. It does not matter which side you tape it to.
- Repeat for other foam board frame.
- Using your duct tape or masking tape. Tape both frames to the foam board you cut to be the back. This will create your hinge. I wouldn't recommend clear tape for this as it may not be strong enough to hold together.
It will look like this when complete.
Place your poster board inside your light box. You can use one or two, whichever you prefer. This is to create a "seamless picture." When viewing the photo you can't tell where the light box ends and the table surface begins.
I bought these lamps at Walmart for about $6 each. I wanted an LED lamp /bulb to give off a bright light. You don't want to use a low watt bulb or yellow light bulb because it will cause a dim or dull picture. When I saw these lamps were long lasting and never have to replace a bulb, they got my business!!
So this is what it will look like with both lamps shining through the sides of the light box. Taking pictures with your iPhone or Android what have you is perfectly fine as well. I take pics with both my phone and big camera for backup.
I hope this was a big help!
Travel bags made by me taken inside the light box.