Skip to main content

Girl's Weekend Getaway Bag -- Weekend Duffel

Girl's Weekend Getaway Bag
The Weekend Duffel


So I decided to step away from making garments and try my hand at making a bag.  I didn't want to make just any type of hand bag, but some thing that would be useful on my weekend trips.  When it gets warm again this bag will be used regularly!!  I bought the Weekend Duffel class from Craftsy.com over the Christmas Holiday when they were having a sale.  I finally got to dig in.


There was a crazy amount of template measurements cut out of poster board.  I used the long bag measurements which were 23¼" x 10¼" x 8¼".  If I was going to make the regular size bag the measurements would be 19¼" x 10 ¼" x 8 ¼".


The fabric I used was purchased from Fabric.com.  The main fabric is (HERE),  The accent fabric is (HERE) and the lining is (HERE). I also purchased fusible fleece and interfacing from Joann Fabrics.  I bought all the fabric in 2 yards to leave room for error.  And I did have at least 2 errors. That's what happens when you are watching TV at the same time as using a rotary cutter!!!



One mistake I made that I went back and fixed was the two paper pieces on the upper right.  They should have been taped together at the bullseye and cut.  I realized after I made the mistake of cutting and quickly fixed it.  Better late than never.


No I have done a few zippers on garments and each time I have had to rip them out for some reason or another! I am proud to say I did not have to rip this one out!!


I made two kinds of pockets.  For the front panel I made a pleated pocket and for the back panel I made a bellows pocket.  I was so indecisive and I like both so I said the hell with it, be creative!



So in this picture, the pockets, accent straps and squares have been attached along with a 22in zipper and lining.  It really isn't as difficult as it may look.


The side panels were pretty easy as well.  


It looks like a pretty funky oven mitt!!  I did bend a needle sewing through all the layers.  I was using a size meant for heavy fabric, but hey it happens!



This is what it looked like before adding the base.  It was really starting to come together!


Adding the base was a little tricky like adding the side panels.  You sew one panel at a time.


Watching this video makes you understand things that you may have asked yourself for a split second and never thought about it again until you end up doing it.  Ya know you notice the little scares at the end of straps on pocketbooks and book bags and never thing to much about it.  Then when you have to do it yourself and it is explained to you why it is a good idea, it's like a light bulb goes on in your head!


Let me tell you I am in love with Wonder Tape!  I have been using it a lot lately with holding zippers in place and now to hold the Velcro for the handles in place.  It is definitely something to have in the sewing drawer!!


The last part to the bag before closing up the base was to add a hard bottom.  I have no idea what this is called, but I found it in the craft section of Joann fabric with the felt and poster board.  It can easily be cut down to whatever size you want with just ordinary scissors.  I used two because I wanted more stability in the bottom.



I am so sorry about the lighting for the end result as you can see in some of the other pics you can see the print is a lot brighter.  My daylight lamp fell over and busted!! :( I will have to replace it.

All in all I LOVE how this bag came out.  Betz White is an amazing teacher!!  This was my first Craftsy.com class to be taken even though I have bought many.  I think she has set the bar pretty high in my opinion on how a class should be taught.  I'm actually afraid to watch the other classes because my expectations are so high now.

I can't wait to use this bag and tell people that I made it when asked.  Hey, I'm a show-off especially when I am proud of what I did!  Check out my Instagram!! 



Until Next Time

Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY -- Hello Kitty Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Hello Kitty Scrub Top What I Wore Today  Fabric from Joann Fabrics  I'm not sure if you can buy this particular print online, but I did see it in a few of their retail stores.  I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape accent the pockets and around the top.  If you haven't read my About Me page yet, I state that I work full-time in the medical field.  I don't have to wear scrubs all the time, but when I want to be comfortable it's my go to option!!  I was tired of seeing the same scrub tops I was wearing that day on other co-workers in the hospital and smiling at each other because we didn't know what else to say. I felt like I was in People Magazine on the "Who Wore It Better" page. So I decided to start making my own tops!!  This is the 2nd scrub top that I have ever made.  The first one I made ended up being a complete bust (My Failure) and I never took a pic of it.  I definitely learned for my mistakes (My Triumph) and

Scrub - A - Dub Sunday!! DIY - Scrub Tops

DIY - Scrub Sunday!! I buckled down and add four more scrub tops to my work wardrobe.  I did this really for two reasons. 1) I like how easy and fast it is for me at this moment, very calming and non-stressful sewing! 2) I enjoy the compliments I get from my co-worker for having original scrub tops! If you have not read my Fabric Haul 2 post, please check it out.  There you will find a description of all the fabric I used for these scrub tops.   Fabric Haul 2 My son decided that he wanted to draw all over my pocket template. To learn more about the Ideal Seam Guide that I use while sewing, check out my   Tool I Can't Live Without Post It seemed easier for me to just cut all the fabric out and just sew everything at once. The only thing that was time consuming on these scrubs was changing the thread to match the color of the bias tape being used. The finished products!! So happy!! Can't wait to wear

DIY -- Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Teal and Gray Circle Scrub Top What I Wore Today  This fabric was purchased at my local Joann Fabrics . It is part of there Easy Care and Wash Collection its called Circle and Lines . It is 40% Polyester and 60% Cotton. I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape  and matching thread.  So I will be honest.....since I started sewing I have been OBSESSED with making scrub tops for myself. The reason being its 50% easy to make, and 50% fun to pick out what materials and designs that you like. I buy 2 yards of fabric for everything I do. Because if I mess up I have more. I want the scraps for another project down the road. I'm thinking maybe I should make my own scrub line.  Happy Good Friday!! Until Next Time  ✌ Stephanie