Skip to main content

DIY --Empire Waist Dress-- Butterick B5917

DIY --Empire Waist Dress-- Butterick B5917


This fabric I picked up at Paron Fabrics in NYC.  I go there now about once a month but I think this one was bought in September.  It is soo soft!! It has a good stretch to it too.  I can't remember for the life of me what it is made out of. I'm sure it is some type of knit blend.  I need to remind myself sometimes to take a picture of the bolt or at least the tag just so I can remember what the fabric is!!

This is the first time I have had to really shorten the length of the bottom.  It was way past my knees! I like it short, but not too short!  Unless.......


Darts!! I hate them!  I was so determined to make sure it matched the other side and that if the chalk started to disappear on me I could still find the positioning.  I have to do some internet searching though!!! There has to be a better / easier way to do darts and have them come out almost perfect!


Why are shoulder seams the most fun to me??? Because they are the easiest thing NOT to mess up! LOL



I have never done gathers before either.  This project really made me feel like a sewing virgin! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I definitely had to play with it a little.  I believe in this picture I had one pinned and the other one sewed.




First time doing a lining on a bodice.  I was pretty bummed out that I obviously either missed a step or misread the directions not to have sewn correctly.  Sorry, but after all the work I had already done, and knowing that it was on the inside of the bodice, I just closed up the seam and called it a day.



I actually liked working on these little sleeve.  It wasn't as complicated as working on longer sleeves.  I swear, if every material I work with could be as easy as this, I would use this material all the time!!


The partly completed bodice.


Ugh!!! More Darts!!


Installing my first invisible zipper!  I ripped this sucker out 3 times until I got it right.  It was so frustrating that I wanted to quit, but I didn't give up on it.


I bought this invisible zipper foot from Ebay for $6.00.  Can't beat that!! It worked like a charm!


The final touch.  Hemming the bottom!



So all in all I like the way it came out. There were many firsts for me during this project.  Some I have to work on a few more times than others. I also did my first hook and eye on the top.  I didn't take a pic of that for some reason but it came out great.  I haven't worn it yet.  I think I will wait for the spring since it is short sleeve.  When I do wear it I will post more pics.

Until Next Time!!


Stephanie

Popular posts from this blog

DIY -- Hello Kitty Scrub Top -- OOTD

DIY - Hello Kitty Scrub Top What I Wore Today
 Fabric from Joann Fabrics I'm not sure if you can buy this particular print online, but I did see it in a few of their retail stores. 
I used Wrights Extra Wide Double Fold Bias Tape accent the pockets and around the top.
 If you haven't read my About Me page yet, I state that I work full-time in the medical field.  I don't have to wear scrubs all the time, but when I want to be comfortable it's my go to option!!  I was tired of seeing the same scrub tops I was wearing that day on other co-workers in the hospital and smiling at each other because we didn't know what else to say.

I felt like I was in People Magazine on the "Who Wore It Better" page.

So I decided to start making my own tops!!  This is the 2nd scrub top that I have ever made.  The first one I made ended up being a complete bust (My Failure) and I never took a pic of it.  I definitely learned for my mistakes (My Triumph) and came out with what I c…

Scrub - A - Dub Sunday!! DIY - Scrub Tops

DIY - Scrub Sunday!!



I buckled down and add four more scrub tops to my work wardrobe.  I did this really for two reasons.
1) I like how easy and fast it is for me at this moment, very calming and non-stressful sewing!
2) I enjoy the compliments I get from my co-worker for having original scrub tops!
If you have not read my Fabric Haul 2 post, please check it out.  There you will find a description of all the fabric I used for these scrub tops.


Fabric Haul 2




My son decided that he wanted to draw all over my pocket template.



To learn more about the Ideal Seam Guide that I use while sewing, check out my
Tool I Can't Live Without Post
It seemed easier for me to just cut all the fabric out and just sew everything at once.

The only thing that was time consuming on these scrubs was changing the thread to match the color of the bias tape being used.



The finished products!! So happy!! Can't wait to wear them.



 Check out Fabric Haul 2 for the materials used in this post!!
Have a good day/…

DIY - Burda Style Pattern 7065

 DIY - Burda Style Pattern B7065 View A

I have to admit.  I was so nervous to start this project.  Everything always looks great on the pattern envelope.  When you finally get the guts to start and sometimes get to the finished product, you look at it like WTH!!  Then it either gets seam ripped apart, scraped, put on a hanger in the back of your closet or balled up on the floor in the back of your closet.



This is 2 yards of fabric purchased fromVogue Fabrics from Chicago, IL. This company was one of the vendors at the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo I attended this past April.  The fabric is part of theGalleria Knit Collection.



NOT THIS TIME!!  This is the first time that I have started, followed through and finished an actual printed pattern bought from a store.  I am very happy with how it came out. 

It was great to only have to use TWO pieces to construct this top.


I used washers from my local hardware store as pattern weights.  They are crochetednow.



 I always use my Ideal Seam G…